A Broad Collection of Good Deeds
The Messenger of Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said: “Purification is half of Eman, Alhamdulillah fills the scale, Subhanallah and Alhamdulillah fill what is between the heaven and the earth, prayer is light, charity is evidence, and patience is illumination. The Qur’an is a proof for you or against you. Every person begins his day as a vendor of his soul either freeing it or ruining it.”
His statement, “Purification is half of eman” meaning the mid-point of it; hence, eman is a withdrawal and beautification. As for withdrawal, it is a withdrawal from Shirk since committing Shirk with Allah is filthy and repugnant as Allah, The Exalted, said (interpretation of the meaning): “Those who commit Shirk with Allah are filthy. So do not let them come near Masjid al-Haraam (in Makkah) after this year.” [at-Tawbah 9:28]
“Alhamdulillah fills the scale” Alhamdulillah is a description of Allah, The Exalted, by way of praises and perfections in His Essence and Actions. “Fills the scale” i.e. the scale of actions since it is something great with Allah, The Mighty, The Majestic. Due to this, the Prophet (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said: “Two statements are beloved to The Beneficent, light upon the tongue, and heavy on the scales: Subhanallahi wa bi hamdihi and SubhanAllahul Atheem (How perfect Allah is and praise belongs to Him; How perfect Allah is, The Magnificent)” [Sahih al-Bukhari and Muslim]
“Subhanallah and Alhamdulillah” meaning both gathered together, “Fill what is between the heaven and the earth.” This is due to their marvellous stature and what they incorporate in freeing Allah from every deficiency. In the Hamd (praise) is a description of Allah, The Exalted, with every perfection. So due to this, they fill what is between the heaven and the earth.
He (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) then said, “Prayer is light” this means a light in the heart. If the heart enlightens, then the face becomes enlightened. It is also a light on the Day of Resurrection. He, The Exalted, said (interpretation of the meaning): “On that day, you will see the believing men and believing women; light will be running before them and by their right hands.” [al-Hadid 57:12]
It is also light in relation to guidance, knowledge, and everything else that has light within it.
“Charity is evidence” i.e. it is evidence proving the sincerity of the one giving charity, and that he loves being near to Allah since wealth is beloved to the soul. One does not depart with something beloved except for the sake of something more beloved. Every person that strives for the sake of the One he loves hoping for reward, this is an evidence of his sound eman and strong certainty.
“Patience is illumination” Patience is of three types:
- Patience upon obedience to Allah
- Patience in abstaining from sin
- Patience with the decree of Allah
And illumination means light along with warmth. As He, The Exalted, said (interpretation of the meaning): “He is the One Who has made the sun an illumination and the moon as a light.” [Yunus 10:5]
The sun has light and warmth within it. Patience is likewise since it is difficult upon the soul, so he is assisted and supported by it just as a person is assisted and supported by warmth and heat.
“The Qur’an is a proof for you or against you” The Qur’an is a proof for you, i.e. with Allah, The Mighty, The Majestic, or a proof against you. If you act in accordance with it, it is a proof for you. If you tum away from it, it is a proof against you. Then the Prophet (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) explained that every person begins his day, i.e. the morning passes with his actions.
“A vendor of his soul either freeing it or ruining it” Every person begins his day, so he labors himself, works hard, and tires himself. From them are those who free their souls and from them are those who ruin them, i.e. they destroy them by their actions. lf he acts in obedience to Allah and upholds His legislation, he frees his soul, i.e. frees it from slavery to Shaytan (the devil) and desire. If the opposite is the case, then he ruins it i.e. destroys it.
And from the Benefits of this hadith:
1. An encouragement of purification, a clarification of its status in the Religion, and that it is half of eman.
2. An encouragement of praising Allah and glorifying him. It fills the scale, and combining praise and glorification fills the heaven and the earth.
3. An encouragement of prayer and (a clarification) that it is light. Branching off from this benefit, it opens the door to knowledge and understanding.
4. An encouragement to (give) charity, and a clarification that it is evidence and a proof of the sincere eman of the one who gives it.
5. An encouragement of patience and that it is an illumination. Difficulty occurs from it just as difficulty occurs from heat.
6. The Qur’an is a proof for a person or against him. There is no medium where it would not be a proof for him or against him. Rather, it is either one, so we ask Allah to make it a proof for us, benefiting us.
7. The real and true freedom is upholding obedience to Allah. It is not for a person to do whatever he desires unrestrictedly. Ibn al-Qayyim (may Allah have mercy upon him) has stated in Nuniyyah:
“He flees from the slavery he was created for, and is afflicted with slavery to his soul and Shaytan.”
So every person that flees from the worship of Allah will fall into slavery of Shaytan and will become a worshipper of him.
And Allah Knows Best!