Be Mindful of Allah
Abdullah ibn Abbas (radi Allahu anhu) said: One day, I was behind the Prophet (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) so he said to me: “O young man, I am going to teach you some words. Be mindful of Allah, and He will protect you. Be mindful of Allah, and you will find Him facing you. If you ask, then ask of Allah. If you seek aid, then seek aid in Allah. Know that if the entire Ummah were to gather in order to benefit you with something, they could not benefit you with anything except with that which Allah has written for you. And if the entire Ummah were to gather in order to harm you with something, they could not harm you with anything except with what Allah has written against you. The pen has been lifted and the pages have dried.”
[at-Tirmidhi - Stated as Hadith Hasan Sahih]
And in another narration of at-Tirmidhi: “Be mindful of Allah, and you will find Him in front of you. Become acquainted with Allah in prosperity and He will become acquainted with you in adversity. Know that whatever surpassed you was not going to reach you, and whatever reached you was not going to surpass you. Know that help comes with patience, relief with affliction, and hardship with ease.”
“Be mindful of Allah, and He will protect you” This phrase “Be mindful of Allah” means to be mindful of His set limits and legislation by complying with His commands and abstaining from His prohibitions. Be mindful of Allah concerning your religion, family, wealth, and yourself since Allah will recompense the good doers in accordance to their perfection in worship. We learn from this that whoever is not mindful of Allah, then he does not deserve Allah – The Mighty, The Majestic – protecting him, and within this is an encouragement of being mindful of the set limits of Allah, The Mighty, The Majestic.
The Second Phrase: He said, “Be mindful of Allah, and you will find Him facing you” the meaning of “you will find him facing you” is that you will find Him in front of you directing you to every good, bringing you close to it, and guiding you to it.
The Third Phrase: “If you ask, then ask of Allah” If you ask for a necessity, then do not askm other than Allah, The Mighty, The Majestic. Do not ask the creation for anything.
The Fourth Phrase: “If you seek aid, then seek aid in Allah” If you desire help and you seek aid from someone, then do not seek aid except in Allah since it is by His Hand that the heavens and the earth are governed, so He will aid you if He wills. Once you have completed seeking aid in Allah and depending upon Him, He will assist you.
And the benefits of this hadith:
- The kindness of the Prophet to those beneath him when he said, “O young man, I am going to teach you some words”
- It is appropriate that the one who is saying something important should precede it with what will definitely grasp attention (as) when he said, ” O young man, I am going to teach you some words “
- Whoever is mindful of Allah, He will protect him.
- Whoever is negligent of Allah – i.e. negligent of Allah’s Religion – Allah will neglect him, and He will not protect him. He, The Exalted, has said (interpretation of the meaning): “Do not be like those who forgot Allah, so He caused them to forget their own selves. They are the disobedient.” [al-Hashr 59:79]
- Whoever is mindful of Allah, The Mighty, The Majestic, He will guide him and direct him to the good. It is imperative that Allah protects him and prevents him from evil
- When a person is in need of help, he should seek aid in Allah. There is nothing wrong with seeking aid in other than Allah, so long as they are able to assist him due to the statement of the Prophet (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) “And assisting a man with his mount or holding up his belonging; to it (the mount), is a charity.” [al-Bukhari]
- The Ummah (Muslim nation) will never be able to benefit anyone except that Allah has written it for him. They will never be able to harm anyone except that Allah has written that against him.
- It is obligatory on a person to put his hope in Allah, The Mighty, The Majestic, and he should not turn to the creation since the creation does not have power over him to harm him or benefit him.
- Everything that is written is finished and concluded. It is established on the Prophet (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) that Allah decreed the fate of the creation before he created the heavens and the earth by fifty thousand years.
- In the other narration, when a person becomes acquainted with Allah by obeying Him in times of good health and prosperity, Allah, The Exalted, becomes acquainted with him in times of adversity, so He is kind to him, aids him, and removes his hardship.
- If Allah has written something for a person, then it will not surpass him. If Allah has not written something for him, then it will not reach him.
- The tremendous glad tidings for the patience and help are coupled with patience.
- Also, the tremendous glad tidings of being relieved from afflictions, and that the removal of adversity is tied in with affliction. So the more a person is afflicted with something, the more Allah relieves him.
- The tremendous glad tidings, that when a person is afflicted with hardship, he can await ease. Allah, The Exalted, has mentioned that in the Qur’an. So when matters become hard, he should seek refuge in Allah, The Mighty, The Majestic, awaiting his ease in compliance with His promise.
And Allah Knows Best!