The Messenger of Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said: “Every joint of a person must do a charity every day that the sun rises. Acting justly between two people is a charity, assisting a man onto his mount, or hoisting his belongings onto it is a charity, a good word is a charity, every step you take to perform the prayer is a charity, and removing harmful objects from the roadway is a charity.”
[Sahih al-Bukhari and Muslim]
His statement (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam), “Every joint of a person must do a charity every day that the sun rises.” Every joint i.e. every bone and joint of a person must do a charity. “Every day that the sun rises.” i.e. it is upon him to give charity every day that the sun rises. The meaning is everyday it is upon every bone of a person to do a charity being thankful to Allah, The Exalted, for the blessing of preservation and continuance of life, but this charity is not solely the charity of wealth; rather, it is of several types:
- “Acting justly between two people is a charity” i.e. you find two people disputing, so you judge between them justly. This is a charity and it is from the best of charity due to His statement, The Exalted, “There is no good in most of their secret meetings save him who orders charity, good, and conciliation amongst the people.” [an-Nisaa 4:114]
- “Helping a man on his mount or hoisting his belongings onto it is a charity” This is also from the types of charity, assisting your fellow brother Muslim with his mount, either by helping him to mount it, if he is not able to do it alone, or hoisting his belongings onto it, meaning he gathers and amasses it. This as well, is from perfection in worship (Ihsaan), and Allah loves the good-doers.
- A good word is a charity.” A good word is every word that brings nearness to Allah such as Tasbeeh, Tahleel, Takbeer, Tahmeed , commanding the good, forbidding the evil, reciting the Qur’an, teaching knowledge, and other than that. Every good word is a charity.
- “Every step you take to perform the prayer is a charity.” It is established in al-Bukhari and Muslim from the hadith of Abu Hyrayah: “That if a person performs ablution in his home, then exits his home for the Masjid and nothing has caused him to leave except the prayer, he does not take a step except that Allah raises him a level and pardons a sin.”
- “And removing harmful objects from the roadway is a charity” Removing harm meaning eliminating any harm along the roadway. Harm is whatever may harm the traveller of water, stones, glass, thorns, or other than that. Regardless if it may harm them from the ground or from above, such as if there were dangling branches of a tree that could harm someone, so you remove it, this is a charity.
And from the Benefits of this hadith:
1. It is upon a person to do a charity every day that the sun rises, for each of his numerous bones. It is said, there are three hundred and sixty bones (of the body), and Allah knows best.
2. Everything that brings nearness to Allah, as well as treating the creation well is a charity. What the Prophet (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) mentioned is an example of that.
And Allah Knows Best!