Righteousness is Good Character
The Prophet (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said: “Righteousness is good character, and a sin is what wavers in your soul and you dislike that it is exposed to the people.”
“Righteousness is good character”
- Righteousness: A term that indicates excellence and an abundance of good.
- Good character: Meaning that a person be considerate, open minded, have a serene heart, and excellent interaction with the people.
The Prophet (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said, “Righteousness is good character.” So if the person has good character with Allah and with the servants of Allah, he will obtain an abundance of good, be open minded to Islam, his heart will be serene with eman, and he will interact with the people in good character.
As for sin, the Prophet (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) explained that it is, “What wavers in your soul and you dislike that it is exposed to the people.”
As for the sinful and disobedient, sins do not trouble their souls nor do they dislike them being exposed to the people; rather some of them boast and inform others of the sin and disobedience they commit. When the upright person commits a sin, it worries his soul and he dislikes that it be exposed to the people. This is the scale that the Prophet (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) mentioned amongst the good and righteous people.
And from the Benefits of this hadith:
- The virtue of good character, since the Prophet (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) mentioned that good character is righteousness.
- The scale of weighing sin is it wavering in the soul and the heart not being tranquil with it.
- The believer dislikes that his faults be exposed to the people in contrast to the heedless person who does not mind. He does not care if his faults are exposed to the people.
- It is appropriate that a person looks toward himself without the opinions of the people, since the people may give their opinion on something they have no knowledge of, and you may feel doubt about it disliking it. The likes of this, he should not return to the opinion of the people, but rather should return to himself.
And Allah Know Best!