Wudu’ is half of Salah
Abu Malik Al-Harith (radi Allahu anhu) reported that The Messenger of Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said: “Wudu’ is half of Salah; the utterance of ‘Al-hamdulillah’ (all praise belongs to Allah) fills the Scales of good actions; the utterance of ‘SubhanAllah wa Al-hamdulillah’ (Allah is far removed from every imperfection and all praise belongs to Allah) fills the space between the heavens and the earth, and Salat (prayer) is light; and charity is the proof of Faith; and endurance is light, and the Qur’an is a plea in your favour or against you. Every person departs; he either ransoms it or puts it into perdition.”
We learn a few lessons from this hadith:
1. Piety in all forms is meritorious, and Faith means Faith in its perfect form. Some people are of the opinion that here Faith means Salat. Purification is essential for Salat and this is the reason it is regarded as half of Salat.
2. Excellence of the remembrance of Allah.
3. Inducement for concentration on Salat because it is a light which provides guidance to a Muslim at every step and prevents him from obscenity and unlawful actions.
4. Sadaqah signifies a Muslim’s sincerity and devotion.
5. The praiseworthiness of patience. It is a strong weapon of a Muslim which provides him with steadfastness.
6. The Qur’an is a means of salvation as well as destruction for a Muslim. If one acts upon its orders, it becomes a means of his salvation; if he shuns them, it ruins him.
7. One should not leave oneself idle but keep it busy – busy in some noble work, otherwise it would tend to evil which will eventually ruin him.
8. One should spend this transitory earthly life in the obedience of Allah.
And Allah Knows Best!